Pre-surgery Cleansing Instructions
Baton Rouge General is committed to ensuring that you have the best and safest experience possible when having your procedure done. Please follow the instructions listed below in preparation for your procedure.
Prior to your surgery, you will need to purchase a bottle of Hibiclens® at your local pharmacy or you will be provided with four skin cleansing sponges to be used during pre-surgery cleansing the night before and the morning of your procedure. The sponges and Hibiclens® both contain an antibacterial known as chlorhexidine gluconate, so if you have an allergy to chlorhexidine gluconate, please speak with the total joint program coordinator for alternate shower instructions.
- Do not use the sponges or Hibiclens® on your hair, face or anywhere above your neck.
- Do not use the sponges or Hibiclens® if you are pregnant or nursing.
- Do not shave the area of your surgery or the area around where your surgery will be done for at least one week. Shaving can cause tiny cuts in your skin that can let germs into your body. These germs can sometimes cause an infection.
- Remove any body piercing jewelry and leave off until after you return home from your surgery, or longer if instructed by your doctor.
- Use clean wash cloths and towels.
- Put on clean clothes after each shower or skin cleaning.
The night before your surgery:
- Shampoo and rinse your hair as usual, using your regular hair products (if your routine is to shampoo your hair in the morning, you can skip this step and do this on the morning of the procedure).
- Wash your face and your genital area with regular soap and rinse thoroughly.
- Turn off the water in the shower, but stay in the shower.
- Use the provided sponges or the Hibiclens® to thoroughly clean your body.
- Pay close attention and make sure you gently soap the area of your surgery and the area around where your surgery will be done.
- Wait two (2) minutes then turn on the water and rinse your body.
- Do not wash with regular soap after using antibacterial cleanser.
- Use a fresh, clean towel to dry off your body.
- Do not use lotion, cream or powder.
- Put on clean clothes.
- Be sure to have clean sheets on your bed.
- Follow steps one (1) through (11) as listed above, using the remaining two sponges.