Clinical Education Opportunities
Baton Rouge General offers clinical education opportunities for healthcare professionals in and around our community. Providing students with the chance to further develop their knowledge and skill supports the goal of our Medical Education program – cultivating Louisiana’s future clinical leaders.
Explore our current opportunities below and check back frequently as we continue to expand our offerings.
Intravenous Therapy Course for LPNs and RNs
Available Course Dates:
September 15 – 10
December 8 – 12
Time: 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Location: Baton Rouge General Mid City Campus, Breezeway 1 Conference Room
Intravenous Therapy is a 40-hour introductory course designed to prepare the LPN or RN to comprehend and perform intravenous therapy.
- Legal implications
- Scope of practice issues
- Review of anatomy and physiology
- Fluid and electrolyte imbalances
- Initiation, maintenance, discontinuation, and documentation of peripheral IV
- Maintenance of central line IV
- IV fluids and medications
- Drug calculations
- Nursing interventions
Participants will demonstrate competency upon completion of this course by passing a written test and performing venipunctures in a simulation setting.
- Textbook: Phillips, L. D. (2010). Manual of I. V. Therapeutics: Evidence-based infusion therapy (5th ed.). Philadelphia: F. A. Davis.
- Binder with course content
- Certificate of completion
- Cancellations must be received within two business days of the start of the course. Cancellations may be made by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling (225) 381-6495. A partial refund (minus a $100 processing fee) will be returned to the registrant.
- Each session requires a minimum of ten people to be registered in order to take place. If session has not met the registration minimum, you will be contacted to reschedule for a later session.