Hurricane Preparedness in a Pandemic
With an active hurricane season upon us, the safety of your family and
your home should be a top priority. And this hurricane season comes with
the added stress of prepping for a potential natural disaster in the middle
of a pandemic. With that in mind, your planning may be different this
year because of the need to protect yourself and others from COVID-19.
Check out our
Hurricane Preparedness Checklist.
- Give yourself more time than usual to prepare your emergency food, water
and medicines. Remember to stay safe and mask up when shopping for supplies.
- When you check on friends and neighbors, be sure to follow proper social
- If you need to evacuate, prepare a kit with personal items you cannot do
without during an emergency. Include items that can protect you and others
from COVID-19, like hand sanitizer, soap, disinfectant wipes, and two
masks per person.
- If you will be staying with anyone outside your household to evacuate from
the storm, talk to the people you plan to stay with about how you can
all best protect yourselves from COVID-19. Follow preventative actions
– including covering coughs and sneezes, washing hands often, and
avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth.
As always, follow the guidance from your local public health and emergency