Understanding Diabetes and Limb Loss
Whether you're a diabetic who has already undergone limb loss or not,
you should work with your endocrinologist to develop daily self-management
- Practice daily foot inspection and care, paying close attention to any
slow healing or chronic wounds.
- Visit your primary care physician, podiatrist and endocrinologist regularly.
- Make sure your healthcare provider does an annual check of your neurological,
vascular, dermatological and musculoskeletal systems
- Actively monitor your blood glucose levels
- Take all prescribed medications
- Create your plate based on recommendations from your doctor and the American
- Stop smoking
- Stay active
- Lose weight, if recommended by your doctor
If you aren't sure whether you have diabetes or not, talk to your primary
care physician, especially if you're at risk for diabetes or if you're
currently experiencing any symptoms. Simple tests can be done in a physician's
office and may help save your life.