Create Your Legacy

To make a difference in the lives of others and to leave a lasting legacy is a common desire. Through your care and commitment, you can ensure that Baton Rouge General has a secure future and will continue to provide hope and healing to our community.

How You Can Help

There are many ways you can help Baton Rouge General by giving through your estate:


A family can include personal property, real estate, a specific sum of money, or a percentage of estate assets to Baton Rouge General in their will.

Charitable Gift Annuity

A charitable gift annuity is a simple, contractual agreement between a donor and Baton Rouge General Foundation in which the donor transfers assets in exchange for the Foundation paying one or two annuitant payments for life. This type of trust is most often used when the donor’s primary goal is to receive a fixed income annually for life. The payments usually begin immediately, but can be deferred to a later date. The donor will also receive an income tax deduction for the year in which you make the gift. Income received is taxed as ordinary income.

Charitable Lead Trust

Charitable Lead Trusts allow reductions in estate taxes after one's passing. When leaving a charitable lead trust for Baton Rouge General, the Foundation would receive income from assets that a donor places in the trust for a specific period of time. At the end of the trust term, the assets and any growth they have realized are passed to the donor's heirs.

Charitable Remainder Trust

Charitable Remainder Trusts provide an opportunity to make a significant gift to charitable organizations with major and wide-ranging tax savings. Trusts are designed to fit the donor’s specific needs and are available in several variations.

Gift of Life Insurance

When the added protection of an insurance policy is no longer needed, transferring the policy’s ownership to Baton Rouge General can result in tax benefits for you and a generous gift for our hospital. Baton Rouge General can also be included as a beneficiary, contingency beneficiary or owner of a new or existing policy.

Outright Gift

A gift of cash or publicly traded securities can be given to the Endowment Fund. Donors will receive an income tax receipt for your donation.

Retained Life Estate

A Retained Life Estate or Gift of Real Estate allows a donor to contribute a personal residence, vacation home, farm, condominium or commercial property to Baton Rouge General Foundation and retain the right to occupy the property until his or her death. This enables the donor to make a gift to the hospital and receive a current income tax deduction for the property's discounted value. It also allows the donor to enjoy the use of the property for the rest of his or her life.

Retirement Assets Designation

For a growing number of Americans, an IRA or other qualified retirement plan may be one of their largest assets. However, those who are planning to leave assets behind for their heirs, often do not realize the double taxation that will occur at the time it is passed down. It’s possible to avoid this massive taxation by placing these retirement assets into a charitable remainder trust which will pay a stream of income to your heirs for up to 20 years. At the end of the 20 years, the assets in the trust support the patients and families served by Baton Rouge General. By donating these assets to the Foundation during your lifetime, you can remove them from your estate, preserve more of their value, provide a significant stream of income to your heirs, reduce taxes and you may be eligible to receive a deduction for the gift.

Whether you are creating a will or updating an old document, we recommend that you seek the advice of estate and tax professionals such as attorneys, accountants or financial advisors in developing your estate plan. Baton Rouge General Foundation cannot render tax or legal advice.

We would be happy to discuss your options with you or your attorney. For more information on how you can make a difference, please contact the Baton Rouge General Foundation at or (225) 763-4372.