Safety and Avoiding Falls
There are many ways to avoid injuring your new joint after surgery. Check
out your house before surgery and consider the following suggestions to
make your return home easier:
- Wear nonskid footwear. Slippers should have a back and a rubber sole to
provide the best traction when walking.
- Remove obstacles like rugs, electrical cords and clutter. Be mindful of
small pets and uneven floor surfaces.
- Make sure your home has adequate lighting in all areas. Use night lights
and flashlights, especially in hallways and bathrooms.
- Use elevated seating surfaces if needed.
- Use chairs with armrests to help you get up and down.
- Stand up slowly from a sitting position in case you become dizzy.
- Change positions frequently to help avoid stiffness.