For more than a century, community residents have generously donated their
time and talents to Baton Rouge General. From 1927 to 1949, a group of
volunteers called the "Blue Birds" served the hospital by hosting
annual charity carnivals and “linen showers,” in which women
collected new bed sheets for use at the hospital. In the early 1950s,
another volunteer group called the “Pink Ladies” raised money
for the hospital through various special events.
In 1953, the hospital’s administration formed the Volunteer Auxiliary
Organization. Since then, volunteers have worked in nearly every department
of the hospital, raising money for new equipment and expanded facilities,
and donating countless hours of service to the hospital each year.
In 2016, between our two campuses, nearly 400 volunteers provided more
than 37,000 service hours in more than 20 departments. In addition, they
provided more than $875,000 in in-kind donations based on Louisiana’s
value of volunteer time.
Deborah Reeves, President
Vicki Pernici, Past President
Hall of Fame
Howard Marsellus, III