Salary & Benefits
Residents receive three weeks paid vacation each academic year, plus five
days for approved continuing medical education leave in each of the PGY-2
and PGY-3 years. Vacation is allowed in one-week increments only, and
may be prescheduled by the Program for PGY-1s. Vacation does not accrue
Comprehensive health coverage for the resident and his/her dependents is
provided through the General Health System Health Plan - paid by Baton
Rouge General. Optional medical spending account, dental insurance plan
and dental discount plan can be elected at the resident's expense.
Term life insurance coverage is provided to the resident in an amount equal
to annual base salary - paid by Baton Rouge General. Optional life insurance
and disability benefits can be elected at the resident's expense.
Professional Liability Insurance:
House staff are covered through the General Health System’s Professional
Liability Plan for all duties performed as a resident – paid by
Baton Rouge General.
Covered Professional Fees:
- American College of Physicians trainee membership dues will be paid by
the Program during your residency.
- ACLS will be paid for (up to $150) one time during residency.
- Subscription to MKSAP digital
- USMLE Step 3 exam fee will be reimbursed if taken by the 9th month during PGY 1.
Residents receive an allowance during each year of training to provide
support for continuing education meetings, scholarly activities, educational
books and/or journals and fees that may be associated to your education.
An iPad allowance of $350 is assigned to PGY 1 residents to be used during
PGY 1. Approval criteria will apply to use of all funds by the Program
Director – paid by Baton Rouge General.
Residents receive discounts on prescriptions, services and programs of
General Health System.
- White coats and laundry service are provided - paid by Baton Rouge General.
- Resident Lounge - The Resident Lounge is available exclusively for our
- Each resident has their own e-mail address, internet access and other computer
- Residents are issued a meal ticket while on-call, as well as the opportunity
to eat in the Physicians' Lounge. Residents will receive a discount
at the hospital's cafeteria.
- Complimentary parking is provided in a secure lot at both the Bluebonnet
and Mid City campuses.