Diabetes Prevention Program
Did you know there are 1.27 million people in Louisiana with prediabetes?
That’s enough to fill Tiger Stadium nearly 12.5 times! And many
people don’t even realize they have it.
So what is prediabetes? It means your blood glucose levels are higher than
normal, but not high enough to be classified as diabetes. If you’re
pre-diabetic, you are at risk of developing health complications like
heart disease, stroke, kidney failure, and blindness. The condition is
often preventable, so you can reduce your risk through lifestyle changes.
The Health & Wellness Center’s Diabetes Prevention Program focuses
on long-term changes and lasting results through:
- Year-long program led by a trained Lifestyle Coach and fitness team member
- Sixteen weekly sessions followed by bi-monthly, then monthly meetings
- Realistic, healthier eating tools
- Safe ways to increase physical activity
- Reducing stress
- Group sessions for an additional support system
Through the program, participants will work toward a goal of 5% weight
loss and 150 minutes per week of activity.
A physician referral is not required for admission to the program, however
some information is needed from your physician. To be eligible for referral
into the program, you have to meet certain requirements:
- At least 18 years old
- Overweight, based on body mass index (over 24)
- No previous diagnosis of type 1 or type 2 diabetes
- Blood test results within the past year in the pre-diabetic range (or previously
diagnosed with gestational diabetes
This program qualifies for Medicare coverage in addition to other insurance
plans. For more information or to verify coverage, please call the Health
& Wellness Center at (225) 819-1175.